Saturday, January 24, 2009

Called Out

My daughter called me out on my sub-par diet yesterday. DH and I were talking about the value of veganism in lowering cholesterol (I keep meeting people who zapped their high cholesterol when they took up a vegan diet.) After hearing me explain my cholesterol statistics to my husband, Little Miss Six-Year-Old asked me straight out, what should I be eating? I told her I should eat lots and lots and LOTS of vegetables and some whole grains, and very very little fat and refined sugar. Answering her innocent concern made everything seem so simple. And imperative -- I want to be around to hold my grandbabies some day!

I'm taking baby steps now. The latest goal is for every meal and snack to feature a vegetable or fruit. I want my meals to be based on veggies, rather than grains (e.g. pasta) or protein. I'm not ready to go vegan yet, since some of my healthy hunger-stoppers are animal based (yogurt, skim milk, chicken, fish), but I can imagine giving up cheese. Maybe. Thanks for the wake-up call, Daughter, you're very motivating.

1 comment:

Maha said...

I find that during the summer I eat a lot of veggies and fruits (but also a lot of ice cream) but in winter time my diet is fairly unhealthy - too many cookies, chocolates and chips! I'm going to try to keep up with some summertime habits this year. Keep up the good work!